The Iowa World Language Association (IWLA) is devoted to advancing the worldwide mission of education and world languages, literature and culture by:
- Promoting the study of world languages and cultures.
- Promoting language curricula, from primary to post-secondary levels, to enable students to become proficient in the target language.
- Opening the doors for multi-lingual interaction with other cultures.
To this end IWLA provides opportunities and support for language teacher education by:
- Facilitating the implementation of the National Standards in Foreign Language Education through the 5 C's: Communication, Culture, Connection, Comparison and Communities.
- Creating opportunities and finding resources for practicing teachers to update their skills and improve their teaching.
- Encouraging the use of new teaching methodologies and technologies in language education.